Preserving & Promoting Allen's Heritage and Spirit...
RECENT EVENTS AND PHOTOS
EXHIBIT OPENING RECEPTION
ALLEN HERITAGE CENTER DEPOT MUSEUM
NEW EXHIBITS THROUGH AUGUST
Cundiff House and the Cundiffs
One of the few old homes left in Allen still stands on Belmont near the RR tracks. It was owned by the Cundiff family for eighty years and since then has housed a B&B and several restaurants. Welby Cundiff was an early Allen pharmacist. His son, Henry, operated a grocery store on Main Street and several other children remained in the Allen area making contributions to the community.
Red Cross Volunteers
A Red Cross uniform from the 1940s is on display along with information about two Allen ladies who volunteered with the Red Cross at Ashburn Memorial Hospital in McKinney, which was activated by the U.S. Army in 1943 and became a Veterans Administration hospital in 1946. The Ashburn complex covered 270 acres north of what is now Highway 380.
The Iris Ladies of Allen
Three ladies in Allen had larger than average iris beds in the downtown area of Allen. They grew the tall bearded iris and were generous in supplying friends and family with iris rhizomes in many available colors. Today many offspring of these plants can be seen all around Allen and at St. Mary's Church in Allen Heritage Village.
Allen Water Station Trail
The Allen Heritage Guild worked with members of Parks and Recreation to collect information for the new Allen Water Station Trail project. Information panels along the trail will draw attention to the stone dam, old pump facility and water tower piers that provided water to power steam engines along Allen's Houston & Texas Central Railroad line.
Collin McKinney Sestercentennial
This year Collin County is celebrating Collin McKinney, the namesake of the city of McKinney and Collin County. He played a big part in the history of Texas and will be celebrated county-wide for the month of April. Our exhibit will inform visitors about Collin and the activities planned for his celebration.
The Guild meets monthly to discuss the status of current and proposed projects, and frequently features guest speakers on topics of historical significance.
Meetings are currently held on the first Wednesday of each month at 6:30 pm at The Train Depot (Allen Heritage Center, 100 East Main Street).
VISIT OUR NEW PAGE AND VIEW
PHOTOS OF NEW CONSTRUCTION AT THE HERITAGE VILLAGE.